Unlocking New Frontiers: How SaaS Companies Can Harness the Power of GPTs
14th November 2023
Last week’s OpenAI DevDay unveiled a groundbreaking advancement: GPTs. OpenAI explains that “GPTs are a new way for anyone to create a tailored version of ChatGPT to be more helpful in their daily life, at specific tasks, at work, or at home—and then share that creation with others.”
The term ‘GPT’ might not fully capture the essence of its capabilities; envisioning them as ‘Digital Agents’ offers a more accurate depiction of their functionality.
Creating Your Own GPT: A Step-by-Step Guide
Creating a GPT is straightforward; you will need ChatGPT Pro (a worthwhile investment at $20/month). Here’s how you can get started:
- Select ‘Explore’ on the left-hand menu.
- Click ‘Create a GPT’ at the top of the page.
- Use the GPT Builder to collaborate with ChatGPT in crafting your unique GPT.
- Configure your GPT with a distinctive name, description, icon (you can even utilise DALL·E 3 for this), instructions, and conversation starters.
- The real excitement begins when you upload files – data or written content – or connect it to existing data sources using Actions.
See the demo from Sam Altman, CEO of OpenAI, and see how easy this is.
How can SaaS businesses use GPTs?
There will be thousands of use cases, and one week after the event, here are our first thoughts on how SaaS businesses can leverage GPTs for marketing, support and additional monetisation opportunities:
- Data-Driven Marketing Tools: Many SaaS companies have unique data. Let’s say you have a SaaS business operating in the recruitment sector. You will likely have a wealth of data from employers and job seekers. You may then have data on hiring trends, industry-specific skills demand, salary benchmarks, and employment statistics. If you load this data into your GPT, recruiters, recruitment agencies, and potentially job seekers can question the data. This can enhance your brand value as a data-centric tool.
- Revolutionising Customer Support: Upload your knowledge base into a GPT to provide instant, accurate responses to customer queries. This speeds up response times and allows human agents to focus on more complex issues. Incorporate ‘vision’ technology to let users upload screenshots for quick problem resolution or add text-to-speech features for a more interactive support experience.
- Transforming User Experience: GPTs could change how users interact with your product. For instance, in accounting software, users could instruct an ‘Accounting GPT’ to “send an invoice to ACME Ltd for $1,000”, automating the task seamlessly.
- Interactive Query Handling in Data-Led Products: Can data-led products be questioned? With a GPT-integrated marketing analytics tool, for example, you can query complex data. For instance, instead of sifting through extensive data to understand trends, ask, ‘Why were leads up last week?’ The GPT processes and interprets the data, providing a swift and coherent answer. This feature saves time and makes data analysis more accessible to users, regardless of their technical expertise.
- Personalised User Experiences: GPTs can analyse user data and behaviour, enabling personalised experiences. For instance, an educational SaaS platform could use a GPT to provide customised learning paths based on a student’s performance and preferences.
- Data Analysis and Reporting: Custom GPTs can be trained to analyse large datasets, generate reports, or provide insights beneficial for SaaS applications in fields like finance, marketing analytics, or business intelligence.
- Monetising GPTs: OpenAI is set to launch a marketplace for GPTs, akin to the iPhone app store. This presents an opportunity for businesses to monetise their custom GPTs through direct sales or subscriptions.
This is just the start. AI, with Xander Marketing
GPTs were only released a week ago, and this will be a fast-moving topic. How can you use GPTs for your SaaS business?
Read more here about how we’ve been using AI this last year: Unleashing AI’s Potential: A Year in Review of AI in Xander Marketing.
If you need help with AI in your business or marketing in general, partner with Xander Marketing, the SaaS marketing agency that has worked with over 200 SaaS businesses since 2009.
Scale MRR, demos, and trials with outsourced marketing infused with AI. We’re a perfect fit for B2B SaaS businesses with no in-house marketing or marketing managers who need a delivery partner.
Get started with a free 30-minute marketing consultation.